Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tues 9th feb doing it solo

This morning the sick girl can't manage to be vertical and therefore concedes that school is not an option. She is watching a kids news show that was explaining that a monsoon was resonsible for melbournes worst ever storm that we had on the weekend. That was my 1st false alarm date. Imagine being in the middle of BS in a storm getting pelted by hail stones the size of golfballs. It was bad enough being at work where it was so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you and going outside to protect your car wasn't an option. As frustrating as the wait for the right weather is I am lucky to have a wise weather man and boat captain watching out for me.
After lunch apointment drop off sick girl at Suzies for a bit of Simpsons therapy and go out in the 30+ westerly. Take the 10m I plan to use during the crossing probably to make a point that I could have done it today. I leave from Ricketts point and must kite a far way out before going down wind to make sure I can get around the point before heading to port melb. As I head away from land all I can see is water. I have an overwelming urge to head to tassie on my own. Not impossible in a westerly and I was wearing everything I plan to have on the crossing although not all fully charged. Begrudgingly decide to head for port Melbourne. Still fantasizing about how cool it would be to arrive unannounced in Tassie I get knocked over by a wave and nearly hit the Cerbrus. Try to turn back out to sea and am faced with reef sticking up. ( Now know why it crashed and sank there) I end up negotiating my way around the beach side of the Cerbrus as carefully as possible on a 10 m in 35 knots. Bloody scary. Decide to keep my mind on the job and have a great ride to port Melbourne. As I approach the Spirit of Tasmania I am tempted to knock on a port hole and ask if I can tag along to Tassie. They would be big enough to be my support boat in these less than favourable conditions. I laugh at myself when it occurs to me that it will be dark in a couple of hours. Dean calls and says he will be finished work in half an hour if I want a lift back to the car. Being a westerley I said I would see if I can kite back. I am rather pleased when he calls to say he is ready to leave and I have made it all the way back to Ricketts. Had a dream run, held about 30 km the whole way, no turns ... Got to love a westerley. Would have liked to do that run again, but must get small girl and get more medicine into her. I do hope the weather was worse as forecast across BS today, as I'm still feeling a little low that it couldn't happen this week. People starting to ask if I'm going to pospone til next season... Please give me the right wind next week so I don't need to consider that nasty option.

No comments:

Post a Comment