Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wednesday ... false alarm.. bloody weather

Today was the most exhausting day so far... and all I did exercise wise was a few laps with my squad.
In the morning got a tentative green light for this weekend. Spent the morning madly packing everything up to go on the boat... including getting the foot straps back on the board. For those who have seen my foot strap step-up its kind of like solving the rubix cube under time constraints.
Alison my x swim teacher now paramedic dropped off the first aide kit to take and ran me through the procedure for all things that could happen. Advice for shark bite was call the helicopter ambos!!!
While I had a spare set of hands we stuck logo stickers on the little 7m kite that will come on the boat in case the wind gets insane and I have to switch to a smaller kite.. but hey the wind isn't likely to change while I'm out there is it?... it has proved so reliable and predictable so far...NOT
Then wind forecaster rings at lunch time as I'm mixing up Gatorade and we look over the data on the computer that shows the SW forecast for the weekend has switched to a NE... WHAT?? How does it do a complete back flip??
He says maybe its a glitch and it will go back to the previous forecast... so I continue packing and making arrangements for work if I am away for the weekend.
While at work at night next update comes through... no go on the weekend, maybe Mon or Tues. Is it me or does it always seem promising 5 days away and then that changes just when I think I better get flights sorted???
OK time to concentrate on some swim school things and maybe some dishes even and try not to curse the weather, after all it is causing serious havoc in other people's lives in QLD and Chile, and for me its just an inconvenience. Got to try to keep things in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the weather forecasters like to think they can accurately predict weather suitable for kitesurfing, more than 5 days out. In practice this is not the case unless the weather patterns are super stable. I don't put any credence in the forecasts more than 3 days out. Even 1 day before and on the day the situation needs to be re-evaluated. If it was easy then everyone would be crossing bass Strait. All you can do is be patient and keep things in perspective. Welcome to the world of long distance kiting!

    http://yakers.co.nz

    ReplyDelete