Sunday, February 28, 2010

Friday 26th Feb ... boat rescue...thx :)

The wind forecaster is trying to educate me in the mysteries of weather forecasting.. maybe cos I'm getting frustrated at not getting a day of wind that works....
I feel very out of my depth looking at highs and lows and basically lots and lots of lines on a map of Oz that tell me if a SW is on the way.
Anyway checking all the data I try to apply it to Brighton beach for practice runs. Bob thinks i can become educated enough to let my friends know when its a good kiting day... up to 7 days in advance. I don't share his faith... so I look it all and decide it doesn't look as though its going to be over 8 knots for the rest of the week. Then i go to the actual wind graph at Fawkner Beacon and it says 25knots... so I go for a kite. A good hour going back and forth... wave to the nice couple in their boat by the shore, careful not to get too close. The as I turn a km or 2 out the kite drops to the beautiful flat water, not a white cap in site. Bugger.... I calmly pull the kite in, wrap up the lines.. collect a muesli bar that escaped my pocket and was trying to float away and begin my very long swim.
Happy to swim, but worried about all the valuable stuff I have attached to me and the big fat ugly jelly fish all around. Then I see the lovely little white boat leave the shore and come my way.
They come and ask if i would like any help and I graciously take them up on a lift back. It was a lovely fast boat ride and I made it back in time to pack up drive home shower and pick up the kiddies from school... all is well. maybe that graph that said there was no wind just didn't account for the hour of goodness and was overall quite accurate!!

My spot messenger is now up and working and my training runs, with and without boat rescues can be seen here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0eZ8ESo8lzhLpm3t4ELR0hoMIRk8khapM

No comments:

Post a Comment