Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sat 6th Feb - Swim School and 35+K Easterly

Swim School today until 6pm... good long day.
No wind in the morning when I was free, but picked up when I went to work.
Then was ballistic by the time I got to Ricketts point ant 7.30pm. Wanted to see if I could hold on to the 10m kite on the big board in big wind.
A guy offered to launch me which is great as the take off is a little dicey at Ricketts.
As I got to the water there was a seagull with an injured leg unable to get away from the incoming tide. Wanted to help it but guy had kite up and i didn't know if he could hold it so had to launch and then had to go.
Did a few runs but was getting pushed down wind and closer than I liked to the reef. In the interests of keeping my face the way it is I thought it safer to stop.
Had trouble holding the kite when i came in so used the IDS system.
Worked like a dream... straight down, kite sat nicely in the shallows.
Was able to get to the seagull before it drowned and put in the shrubs.. at least it has a chance to recover and squawk annoyingly at beach goers with food.
Opted for a bike ride as a better form of exercise instead of pumping up a much smaller kite than I will use for the crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment